It’s been happening for millennia; the sale of food that is not what it should be. We call it food fraud, and it poses serious risks to public health as well as costing the global food industry billions of dollars. Although it has been a well-known problem for many years, it wasn’t until the large-scale and well-publicised ‘horsemeat scandal’ of 2013, in which beef products were found to be adulterated with horsemeat, that the international food industry started to act in a collaborative way to tackle the issue. Since then, the food industry has discussed and implemented a range of measures designed to minimise the occurrence of food fraud. These measures include new regulatory requirements for food fraud prevention in the USA and changes to food safety standards in other parts of the world.
Food fraud occurs when food or drink is sold in a way that deliberately misleads or deceives consumers or customers for financial gain
- Watch this youtube video for an introduction to food fraud for consumers.
- Click here to read about it in Good Food.
- Have you experienced food fraud? Take the survey and find out now.
- What to do if you have been a victim of food fraud – who to contact.
For food industry professionals:
- How to do a vulnerability assessment for food fraud: start here
- Do our fast, free online training Introduction to Food Fraud
- Read an introduction to food fraud for professionals here
- Learn the lingo; find an introduction to food fraud terminology here
- Check out our acronymn decoder, and learn about the differences between HACCP, VACCP and TACCP
- Find training courses in food fraud prevention
- Everything you ever wanted to know about Saffron Fraud
- Who are the people behind food fraud? Learn about opportunistic and organised food crime here.
- Food fraud in the organic sector; is it as bad as they say? Read more here
P.S. Are you stuck for continuous improvement ideas?
Our food fraud awareness training is a great way to demonstrate continuous improvement for your next audit. It’s easy, quick, interesting. If you don’t love it, write to us for a 100% refund, no questions asked.